DiscussionsLists all discussions that are created on the site.
CategoriesView categories that are created for the site and filter discussions by categories.
MembersView profile of other members on the site.
BadgesView a list of achievable badges on the site.
Job offer in Seoul
I have received an offer to work in Seoul, Korea. Currently, I’m based in UK. I have few questions and hopefully ever helpful Indian expat community will be able to provide quick answer as I have to decide this fairly quickly.
(1) Kid’s Education- My kids (aged 10 and 5) go to British school over here in UK and this is the way I would like to keep in Seoul. I did basic search on fees on international schools (Seoul British foreign school, Dulwich, etc). The fees are in the range of $25-30 K per annum per child.
The questions are :
(A) Whether we will be able to get admission i.e. is there normally space available in these schools?
(B) Is subway is safe and reliable way of commuting to school and vice versa, I’m expecting that my wife will accompany them on both legs? I’m planning to take accommodation close to schools
(2) Medical Insurance and Service- Since my company is not sponsoring the family, I will have to do so on the dependant visa. I would like to know the cost of good medical insurance cover and the quality of health service in Seoul?
(3) Accommodation- I did basic internet search and came up with varying figure between $2,500 to 4,000 per month for 2b/r to 3 b/r accommodation. My office would be in the city centre and accommodation needs to close to foreign schools as mentioned in point (1) (A). What would be realistic cost for nice apartment in good family localities?
(4) Indian groceries and food - What is the availability of Indian groceries (read spices, vegs, etc). We are vegetarian except me, I do not mind fish.
(5) Safety and Language Barrier- How safe is Seoul for kids and women’s? How easy is to communicate over there in shops, taxi, cinema, malls?
(6) Office Environment - How is the office atmosphere in general in big south Koran companies? Are there any attitude issues towards certain races?
(7) Any website which could help in estimating the monthly cost for family living down there?
(8) Any other points which you would like to suggest at this juncture?